Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mussel Mayonnaise Poke [GF]

 One of the first things I'd resolved to do upon my recent return to Hawaii, after more than a month abroad roaming the arid steppes of northern China, the maize-laden plains of central Minnesota, and the escalator-rich human hive of Hong Kong was to fix myself a good, down-home poke.  Moreover, in honor of my homecoming, I thought I'd experiment a little bit with some unusual variations on my usual sesame-oil-and-soy-sauce recipe.  Here's what I came up with: a poke which complements the creamy taste and soft texture of mussels with a piquant mayonnaise sauce, while at the same time doing justice to the mollusks' understated seafood flavor by combining them with a substantial amount of limu and just a hint of fish sauce.  I think this one will become a permanent addition to my poke repertoire.  Enjoy!   
  • 1 cup limu (ogo seaweed), chopped
  • ¼ lb. small mussels
  • 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp. Tabasco-brand hot pepper sauce
  • 1 tsp. Cholulu-brand hot sauce
  • ¼ tsp. coarsely ground sea salt (or to taste)
  • ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp. fresh cilantro, diced
  • 6 raw macadamia nuts, minced
  • 1 tsp. rice vinegar
  • ½ tsp. sesame oil
  • ½ tsp. Vietnamese fish sauce
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and toss together.  Serve either immediately or after chilling for 15 min. in the refrigerator. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment